If you are looking for Japanese Duck Teriyaki, you are in the right place! Unlike traditional teriyaki recipes, which need the meat to marinate before grilling, first, sear the duck breast in this recipe and then simmer it in teriyaki sauce.
Duck Breast Teriyaki
It’s a delicious and simple meal that you can customize by changing in and out components.
Earlier, I had no idea where to find mirin or sake. And the only thing I knew about Japanese soy sauce was its high price.
Nowadays, we can make teriyaki (soy sauce, sake, and mirin) at any moment.
This duck teriyaki recipe calls for searing the duck before braising it in teriyaki sauce; there will almost certainly be a lot of drained duck fat in the pan after roasting, and it’s normal.
Duck skin is quite fatty. After you sear the duck in the pan, a pool of rendered fat will form around it. You won’t utilize that fat in this meal, but don’t throw it away because it’s full of flavor. Chill it and store it in a covered jar in the refrigerator.
Duck does not require a special occasion to enjoy at home. If preparing a whole bird on a busy day is too much work, fully deboned duck breast is available in better grocery stores and supermarkets. A simple way to indulge is to cook it with teriyaki sauce.
How to Prepare Duck Breast Teriyaki?
Duck Breast – 250 gm
Fresh Orange juice – half orange
Spring onions – for garnish
➡️ Teriyaki sauce
Garlic – 4 chunks
Ginger – 20g
Oil – 3 Tablespoon
Sugar/Brown sugar – 100g
Soya sauce- 100 ml
Rice vinegar /Mirin – 100 ml
Maple syrup – 3 Teaspoon
Sesame Seeds – 40 g
Water – 500 ml
Cornstarch & Water – 3Tbs & 80ml
➡️ Teriyaki sauce recipe
- Put the oil in a medium-heat pan.
- Now add the chopped ginger garlic and cook until brown
- After that, add sugar (you can also use brown sugar).
- After 5 minutes, add soy sauce water rice vinegar or Mirin alone add the maple syrup (the other side tossed the sesame seed in a pan) and sesame seeds.
- Finish with cornstarch and your homemade teriyaki sauce is ready.
➡️ Japanese Duck Teriyaki recipe
- Mark the duck skin fat with a knife into a diamond shape.
- Make the pan hot, and put the duck breast into the pan.
- Cook duck breast until skin becomes golden brown. Cook from both sides and corners for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Now use the duck fat as an oil, and put about 3 to 4 spoons of teriyaki sauce on medium heat until warm.
- Now put the duck breast on for about 10 minutes.
- Cut the duck breast into thin slices and finish with spring onions as a garnish
- Serve it hot with rice or any side dish you want.
- Don’t cook too much duck breast, it should be medium rare.
What to serve with Japanese Duck Teriyaki?
These quick and easy side dishes complement the flavorful, creamy duck breast.
- Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans
- Balsamic roasted vegetables
- Spinach and mushroom salad
- Asparagus and leek risotto
- Fried eggs
How to store and reheat Duck Breast?
- To store the leftover duck breast, put it in the refrigerator by wrapping it loosely with foil. Refrigerate it for 3-4 days.
- In a small roasting pan, place the frozen duck breast. Brush the skin with oil or frying fat to protect it from drying out.
- Bake uncovered for 2 to 2.5 hours on the bottom shelf of the oven, or until the meat thermometer reads 65 °C to 68 °C (149 °F to 154 °F).