Minor mouth ulcers are known as canker sores or oral ulcers that can be prevented and are temporary. They are small, oval in shape, and harmless in nature. Home remedies for mouth ulcers are taking vitamin B, and vitamin C supplements, taking care of physical hygiene – using mouthwash and brushing twice a day. Avoiding ulcer-causing food- spicy oily food, food with acid triggers, etc.
Reasons that cause Mouth ulcers are-
- Fungal, bacterial, or any other microbial infection.
- Medical conditions – Diabetics, immune disorder, etc.
- Accidental cheek bite, rash, etc.
- Deficiency of vitamins, zinc, magnesium, etc.
- Acid reflux or H.Pylori.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Dental problems
- Pregnancy, mensuration, etc.
- Emotional or mental stress.
- Skin sensitivity to some foods.
- Spicy food and nuts
Other causes of mouth ulcers –
- Cold sore – These are fluid-filled blisters with a white, gray, or yellow appearance.
- Gingivitis – Mainly occurs in young children. Soreness appears in the mouth when flu occurs.
- Folate deficiency – A deficiency of vitamin B9 can also causes mouth ulcers.
- Infectious mononucleosis- This causes a rash on the skin and also in the mouth. It is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus.
- Oral thrush- It is an infection caused by yeast that results in mouth and tongue ulcers.
- Leukoplakia – It is caused due to tobacco. Patch occurs in the mouth.
- Oral lichen planus- In this the lips, cheeks, and gums get inflammation.
- Mouth cancer – In mouth cancer, red and white patches appear in the oral cavity.
- Pemphigus vulgaris – It is an autoimmune disease that leads to mouth ulcers.
- H.pylori- A peptic ulcer is caused by H.pylori and it can also cause mouth ulcers due to acid reflux.
Home remedies for mouth ulcers
Part 1- Home remedies for mouth ulcers
- Turmeric powder – Apply turmeric paste to the wounded area. It acts as an antiseptic and will prevent further mouth infections.
- Baking soda/ Sodium bicarbonate – Make a paste of baking soda with water and apply it to the ulcers. It will neutralize the acid and heal the sore area.
- Honey- Apply honey to the affected area of the mouth. It helps in wound healing and also acts as an antimicrobial agent thereby decreasing or inhibiting the infection.
- Coconut oil – It has analgesic properties. Apply it over ulcers and then rinse it.
- Saltwater- Gargle with salt water, it will hydrate your mouth. It also acts as an antiseptic.
- Clove oil – Clove has an active ingredient known as eugenol that shows antimicrobial action.
- Coconut milk – Gargling 2-3 times with coconut milk will reduce the pain caused by ulcers.
- Orange juice – Mouth ulcers can also occur due to a deficiency of vitamin C, so intake of vitamin C-rich fruits or food can help to stop ulcer growth.
- Garlic- It contains allicin. Dub garlic bud to the affected area. It is antimicrobial.
- Cabbage juice- Boil cabbage and then prepare its juice. It will soothe the ulcers as it shows anti-inflammatory properties.
- Apple cider vinegar – This has anti-inflammatory properties and can heal the ulcer’s pain too.
- Aloe vera gel – Apply Aloe vera to the wounded ulcers it will give a cooling sensation and subdue the pain. It also shows anti-inflammatory action.
- Ice cubes – Applying ice cubes to the mouth ulcers will anesthetize the area.
- Tulsi leaves -Chew basil leaves or make its decoction. It works as an antibacterial.
- Liquorice powder – Gargle using licorice, it helps in cleaning the mouth.
- Alum Powder- Potassium aluminum sulfate is an astringent. It helps to dry out the inflamed ulcer area. Apply it over the wound to get the results.
Part 2- Home remedies for mouth ulcers
- Yogurt -It can act as a probiotic when the ulcers may be caused by Helicobacter pylori or there are any chances of Inflammatory Bowel Disease/IBD.
- Sage- Sage tea shows anti-inflammatory action on wounded mouth ulcers.
- Zinc Lozenges – Zinc-rich food helps to provide immunity. This can suppress the cause of ulcer growth.
- Vitamin B Complex – Deficiency of vitamin B-12 can also cause ulcers so taking these supplements can provide relief from ulcers.
- Watermelon – Watermelon frost can act as a cooling agent to decrease the ulcer pain and also it will provide hydration to the body and dry area of the mouth to lessen the pain.
- Black tea – Black tea acts as a protein precipitator/ astringent due to the presence of tannins in it. Itprevents further growth of mouth ulcers.
- Mouth wash- Regular use of mouthwash is essential to keep germs out of our mouths. These have antibacterial/ microbial agents in them which can allow no ulcer growth and also keep the area moisturized.
- Poppy seeds – Mouth ulcers generally occur in summer due to increased body temperature. Poppy seeds helps to maintain the temperature. It can also act as an analgesic to relieve the ulcer pain.
- Methi- The Fenugreek spice is also useful in the treatment of ulcers. You can also use to make a tea, or in any food.
- Ghee- It is one of the oldest home remedies for ulcers. Applying ghee to the affected area will give a soothing effect and moisture to the area.
- Water- Drinking ample amounts of water will never cause mouth ulcers, especially during summer when we get dehydrated easily.
TIPS: Consult a doctor if you don’t get relief from ulcers within 2 weeks.