Fatty liver/ Hepatic Steatosis – is a condition that leads to fat deposition in the liver which can further turn out into liver damage and liver failure/ chrisosis.
How to reduce Fatty Liver?
Fatty liver is of two types –
- NAFLD- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. This is caused by obesity, type 2 diabetes, etc.
- FLD is caused by alcohol-.When majorly alcohol is responsible the fat deposition in the liver.
Steps to control fatty liver damage –
- Balance diet
- Unsaturated, high fiber food- legumes, whole grains proteins, veggies, fruits, etc.
- Sugar-free, low-calorie food, salt-free, etc.
- Avoid alcohol
- Exercise and weight loss.
- Control diabetes/blood sugar/ lipid level.
15 foods that help to reduce fatty liver are-
- Coffee – It helps to maintain the abnormal secretion of liver enzymes and decreases the risk of liver fibrosis. It works well for patients with alcohol-based fatty disease.
- Raw spinach- has polyphenols and nitrates that help to reduce fatty liver damage.
- Soyabean- have a protein known as Beta conglycilin that helps to decrease visceral fat deposition and also reduces triglycerides.
- Tofu -it contains low fat and protein. Beans, chickpeas, lentils, and peas help in decreasing triglycerides and blood glucose levels. It has resistant starch that is easy to digest.
- Fish- it has a rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids. It helps to increase HDL and decrease liver fat.
- Oatmeal- Whole grains have fibers that help to decrease bodies triglyceride level.
- Cruciferous veggies- Cauliflower, cabbage, and broccoli help to repair liver damage.
- Chicken and eggs -These are bioactive proteins that help to absorb and digest food easily.
- Berries – blueberry, raspberry, and cranberry have a high content of polyphenols that have anti-oxidative properties.
- Grape – it contains naringenin and vitamin C and acts as an Antioxidant. It also helps in the repair mechanism of liver cells.
- Walnut -it helps to scavenge free radicals/ reactive oxidative species. It helps to deal with insulin resistance too.
- Avocado – it has a low glycemic index that helps in metabolism and weight loss management. It also helps to reduce/ clean up deposited fat in the liver.
- Green tea helps in weight loss, fat absorption, and metabolism, decreasing its storage.
- Almond milk- and other low-fat dairy products have calcium, and vitamin D that helps to prevent osteoporosis and osteopenia. It also reduces fatty liver.
- Water- Proper hydration helps in food metabolism which is less deposition of fat or cholesterol in the body thereby keeping the body away from toxins and diabetes, liver damage, etc.
You would like to read – 10 High Protein foods
Some food spices and oil which helps in the reduction of fatty liver damage –
- Turmeric – helps to decrease liver damage by reducing liver enzymes AST( Alanine aminotransferase) and ALT (Aspatart aminotransferase) which are responsible for fatty deposition.
- Sunflower oil – It has a high amount of Vitamin E that acts as an Antioxidant.
- Garlic- it helps in the reduction of body weight, and also balancing the enzyme release in the liver, and taking care of liver damage.
- Olive oil – It contains(linoleic acid, linolenic acid) Omega 3 fatty acids that are antioxidants.
- Flax and chia seeds – help to decrease fat content and contains Omega acids.
You would like to read – 10 Indian spices that decrease blood glucose level
TIPS: Consult your doctor for recommendations of a suitable diet, healthy living, and meditation when required to control and repair liver damage.