Diabetes is a metabolism non-communicable, life-long condition, that is required to be controlled to get away from risks of loss of life. In this, there is a disbalance between glucose metabolism and secretion of insulin and glucagon which helps in its uptake and breakdown. It can be maintained by the use of proper treatment along with healthy eating and living that involves additional food that controls glucose levels and discarding food that can spike blood sugar levels.
The main cause of diabetes is oxidative stress thereby antioxidant work against it to deal with the cause and control blood glucose levels.
The high glucose level in the blood leads to the activation of free radicals or ROS/ rea tive oxidative species which causes insulin resistance and inhibition in insulin release and damages the beta cells of the pancreas which releases insulin for glucose uptake.
This can be dealt with with antioxidants which are required to be supplied by exogenous sources because the pancreas has a low antioxidant defense mechanism.
Water- Drinking enough water can help in metabolism and also the release of glucose in urine. Keeping it under control.
Diabetes is of two types –
- Juvenile diabetes – in this condition the body is unable to make insulin. The insulin injections are the only remedy and that is also a lifelong process. This occurs only in 5- 10% of total diabetic cases.
- Adult onset Diabetes/ diabetes mellitus – In this condition the body is not able to use blood glucose by converting it to energy and its level in the blood increases. The insulin receptor also shows improper functioning.
10 everyday used spices that can reduce blood glucose levels –
These spices can be used in the preparation of various food items but are more effective in raw form. Can be consumed as oils, infused in hot water, soaked overnight, or even. can be chewed directly.
- Hing/ Asafoetida (Ferula foetida): It contains phenolic acids and tannins. It shows anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. Its olegum resin helps to decrease levels of triglycerides and cholesterol in the body. It also helps with upset stomach, constipation, flatulence, etc. It helps to protect beta cells of the pancreas that produce insulin and decreases serum insulin and blood sugar levels.
- Haldi/ Turmeric (Curcuma longa): It contains 3 %curcumin that acts as an antioxidant and anti Inflammatory. It also decreases blood glucose levels by dealing with insulin resistance and insulin secretion. It also shows synergy with medication to reduce blood sugar levels.
- Ajwain/ carom (Trachyspermum ammi): It contains high fiber content that helps in carbs metabolism. Its oil contains cymene, terpene, oleic and linoleic acids, limonene, etc. It inhibits enzymes alpha-amylase and alpha-glucosidase which are responsible for the breakdown of carbohydrates. This helps them to maintain blood sugar levels otherwise if more intake of carbs is present and gets fast digested sugar spike can occur. Slow digestion of carbohydrates is required in diabetic conditions as the uptake is slowed to cells.
- Methi/ Fenugreek (Trigonella foenumgraecum): It contains magnesium and fiber that helps to reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels. It contains galactomannan which helps in slow absorption and metabolism of carbohydrates and sugars. It contains an amino acid known as hydroislucin that helps in increasing the secretion of insulin in hyperglycemia conditions also
- Dalchini/ Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum): It has a methyl hydroxy chalcone molecule which helps uptake glucose from the blood thereby reducing blood glucose levels. It also reduces cholesterol. It slows the rate of gastric emptying therefore of glucose in the blood. It also acts as a sweetening agent.
- Long/ clove (Syzygium aromaticum): It contains magnesium, vitamin K eugenol, and nigericine. It helps to decrease blood glucose levels by increasing its uptake from blood to cells and also increases the secretion of insulin.
- Adrak/Ginger (Zingiber officinale): It increases insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity. Helps to regulate cholesterol levels. Improving the functioning of beta cells of the pancreas which are responsible for the release of insulin. It contains gingerol and shogaol which works against inflammation and oxidative stress. it also helps in the weight loss process.
- Lehsun/ Garlic (Allium sativum): It contains sulfur that works as an antioxidant, reducing cholesterol and blood sugar levels. It contains an active ingredient called allicin which helps in the release of insulin from the pancreas. It helps to reduce the level of fructosamine which is an indication of long-term high blood glucose levels.
- Jeera/ Cumin(Cuminum cyminum): It has antioxidative properties and also contains calcium, magnesium, and iron. It helps to reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels. It improves insulin resistance and inflammation. It helps in the alteration of metabolism which further maintains blood sugar levels.
- Elachi/Cardamom(Elettaria cardomomun): It contains polyphenols compounds such as quercetin luteolin etc. It has antioxidant Anti-inflammatory and hypolipidemic properties. It suppresses alpha-amylase and alpha-glucosidase enzymes to control blood glucose levels.
Some other ingredients which can help in diabetes control –
- Lemon drink- contains vitamin C and anti-oxidative properties.
- Amla (decrease insulin resistance)
- Giloy( immunity)
- Moringa leaves ( blood pressure regulation)
- Mango leaves ( cholesterol reduction)
- Whey protein ( insulin release)
- Hot chocolate milk( flavonoids)
- Coconut water( hydration)
- Almonds ( blood glucose level reduce)
- Green tea( weight loss)
- Chia seed ( weight loss)
- Tulsi tea( sugar level reduce)
- Chaas(digestion help )
- Broccoli ( heart protection)
- Spinach (insulin secretion)
- Curry leaves ( starch digestion)
- Apple cider vinegar(anti-hyperglycemic)
- Tomato juice(metabolism help)
- Bitter gourd ( polypeptide)
- Blueberry ( weight loss)
- Apple ( fibers)
- Jamun ( alkaloids)
- Cow milk (cesin slow digestion)
- Black tea(enhance metabolism)
- Aloe juice (reduce blood sugar)
Diabetes can be maintained by –
- Regular exercise – to prevent excessive weight gain.
- Caution in Eating and drinks – to emphasize food that can help in lowering blood cholesterol, triglycerides, and sugar levels.
- Regular checkup – for keeping highs and lows in control.
- Having your medications regularly.
TIPS: Consult your doctor on a regular basis for your improvement reports. Get a routine test of cholesterol levels, Blood glucose level etc.